Who doesn’t love a great asparagus dish? I know…the first thing you are thinking. ” But asparagus makes my pee stink!”…Yes, that is very true, but who cares? Eat it anyway! It definitely ranks up there as one of my all time favorite veggies, so anytime I have a chance too cook it, I love to…stinky pee and all. This is one of those winter soups, that makes you want to put on a fire in the fireplace, grab a glass of vino, and slurp away on your soup ( although, I really loathe hearing people eat soup…it makes me cringe), so add some loud jazz music (to drown out that horrifying sound) to that fireplace and vino, and we are all set. The roasted asparagus and cauliflower with the onions and garlic, are blended together, to a splendid creamy dreamy puree. The addition of the nutritional yeast is my favorite part…is has a smokey flavor, resembling Parmesan cheese ( just without the thigh attaching fat and cholesterol), and adding a ton health benefits. Nutritional Yeast also adds an earthy richness into the soup…the more the better! Garnish with your favorite croutons, and slurp away…just make sure that music is up loud, or else.
- 2 Lbs. asparagus
- 1/2 head cauliflower
- 4 Cups vegetable broth
- 1 Onion Diced
- 3 Garlic cloves
- 1/2 Cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 lemon ( juice)
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- Heat up a pan on a stock pot, saute onions and garlic until transparent
- Add asparagus and cauliflower. Cook until they are nicely roasted or brown, then add the vegetable broth
- Bring to a boil for 5 minutes, then simmer for 15 minutes. Make sure the vegetables are tender.
- Place the liquid mixture into a blender, and puree until silky smooth
- Place the mixture back into the stock pot, and add the lemon, yeast, and salt & pepper, stir until well blended
- Serve and garnish with croutons
Adapted from My Darling Vegan