These days it is pretty hard to have a complete meal that is meatless, and has just enough vitamins and nutrients in it, to actually be worthwhile AND at the same time not taste like cardboard. The beautiful thing about vegetarian and vegan cooking is there is such a vast variety of foods, and flavors that you can try. I have never in my life had curry, and really was not keen on trying it either…it just seemed to complicated, and intimidated me. I ran into this recipe, and saw that it had really random things in it (luckily, all being things that I love) all tossed into one pan. Amazing, and super easy, and that’s all we want at the end of a busy day, amirite?
I cut back a bit on the cayenne, because in my humble opinion, sweating and eating at the same time is quite a challenge, and not very appetizing. I add just enough for a zip of heat, and them it vanishes, so I can actually enjoy what is on my plate.
This really is a complete meal packing fiber from peas, b vitamins from the coconut milk, the magical powers from spices, lycopene from the tomatoes, and of course fresh herbs. What is not to love? Everyone needs this dish in their life, or at least try it once. Do not be afraid of spices, textures, and flavors…you just may fall in love with them. They have so much to offer, and will love you back. Sounds like an amazing E Harmony announcement huh?
- 10-12 new potatoes
- 1/3 cup cashews, soaked for 10-15 minutes and then chopped
- 1 cup green peas ( frozen works best)
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1-2 tbsp finely chopped cilantro
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Handful of basil, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place cashews in a glass of water for 15-30 minutes to soften
- Boil potatoes until they are soft
- In a large pan, add the cashews and allow to gently roast. Add the steamed potatoes and toss to coat.
- Add 1/2 cup water with the tomato paste into the mixture. Add in the cherry tomatoes and simmer for 5-8 minutes.
- Add all the spices. Stir well to coat the potatoes. Smash the cherry tomatoes are are cooked through.
- Simmer for 3-5 minutes. Add the coconut milk and peas. Simmer until the sauce begins to thicken. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add chopped basil to the top, and serve immediately.