It is watermelon season! It is watermelon season! There are very fruits that are so refreshing, and almost seem like a guilty pleasure. Lately I have been hearing about this amazing fruit, getting a bad rap, saying it is mostly made of water, so it is not that good for you. Girl please. Watermelon is beyond good for you! It is heart healthy, lowers blood pressure, and high in B! Now what do the Negative Nancy’s have to say?!
Many of you may be a little skeptical of this recipe, since you do not usually think of watermelon with cheese, and are thinking “a Fresh Watermelon Salad with Feta and Mint”…pass! but trust me on this one….it works! The lemon juice and mint bring it all together. Make sure not to mix the feta in, just crumbling it on top, to appreciate the layers of flavor. If you are a person like me, who loves sweet and salty, this salad will take that love to a whole new level! This dish is a perfect addition to a family barbecue, a picnic, or dinner on the beach. Or like me, in yoga pants sitting the couch watching the Big Bang Theory over and over on Netflix, with a glass of wine.
- 1 small watermelon cut into small chunks
- 1/2 cup arugula
- 1/4 cup mint leaves ( coarsely chopped )
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- pinch of salt
- pinch of pepper
- Place watermelon chunks in a medium bowl.
- Add lemon juice and half of zest to bowl with watermelon.
- Add oil, mint, and arugula and toss until watermelon is coated well.
- Season lightly to taste with salt and pepper. (Don't add too much salt, because feta is well salted.)
- Transfer salad to a wide, shallow bowl or a large plate and spread out evenly. Crumble feta over the top.
- Drizzle with more olive oil
- Serve immediately