Hearty Veggie Lentils
This warm and toasty soup with make you feel so cozy on a cold day...we even eat it in summer with the AC blasting! Lentils are a great meatless staple to have on hand, packing a strong punch of fiber, iron, protein, cholesterol lowering properties, and even aids in weight loss! It doesn't hurt that they taste good too!
Write a review
1 hr 15 min
1 hr 15 min
- 1 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 2 1/2 Your favorite smoke spice mix ( I like smoked paprika personally)
- 3 Garlic cloves
- 1 Carrot ( diced or in rounds)
- 1/2 Red bell pepper ( diced)
- 1/2 Green Bell Pepper ( diced)
- 2 vegetable bouillon tablets
- 2 lbs ( or 2 cans / packages 500 grams) Cooked lentils
- 1 Large Yukon Gold Potato
- 1/2 Brown onion ( diced)
- 5 Cups of Water
- Salt & Papper to taste
- Heat oil in a large stockpot at meduim to high heat
- Add Garlic, onion, carrots and bell peppers until they are soft and translucent.
- In the meantime cut your potato into small cubes. You can peel it if you would like. I prefer the skins on, because they are soft, and have more vitamins.
- Wash and rinse the lentils in a colander, and drain the water.
- Add the potatoes and lentils into the stockpot along with the vegetables and mix all of the ingredients together.
- Next add the water and mix together
- Cover with a lid, and bring to a boil for 25 minutes, while adding bouillon cubes, spice mix, salt and pepper.
- Once it is boiling, bring the fire to low heat for 45 minutes.
- **This part is optional* Grab a potato smasher, and mash the soup, until everything is well mashed. I find doing this, my kids are less likely to pick out anything they do not like, because it is mixed well together and very small. This is a good trick!