For all of those who have read my ” about me” post, you will know how much I loathe eggplant. It is so sad. How can such a cute purple vegetable be so gross to my palette, and make me gag!? I do realize that eggplant is a major part of Ratatouille, but I am sorry (not really) that this recipe does not have any in it. But guess what? There is a good part to this story. It does not need any, and you will not miss it. I changed it out with red onion and who does not LOVE red onions? I certainly do. So what if you like eggplant, and you refuse to make a classic ratatouille without it? You can simply slice it up just like the zucchini, and add it into the mix…easy! OK, eggplant, you can be invited to the party too…I guess.
- 1 Whole green zucchini
- 1 Whole white squash or zucchini
- 1 Purple onion
- 1 Red bell pepper
- 2 Garlic cloves minced
- 1 15. oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp. Herbs de Provence ( add more if you would like)
- Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 375º
- Slice up all of your veggies into thin slices, set aside.
- Pour diced tomatoes into a medium sized casserole dish, add olive oil, and minced garlic
- Start layering the vegetables in however order you would like.
- Drizzle a little olive oil on top, and sprinkle your herbs, salt and pepper on top, until all the vegetables are covered
- Bake for about 45 minutes until the vegetables are fully cooked, but not limp.