Well, it has certainly been a while since my last post. Summer has officially arrived, and as usual, I am unprepared. The house is a mess, and the kids are at home bored all day. On a side note…why do kids love summer so much, if they sit around the house all day complaining it is boring at home?! This has absolutely nothing to do with this recipe, but I felt the need to say it **vent over**. Anyway, this recipe for Orange Ginger Tofu Stir Fry with Broccoli is a super quick and healthy easy way to whip up a weeknight dinner. It is just like takeout only in your home, and without the crap storm of MSG 🙂
The orange juice gives it a nice zing, while the ginger balances it out. You can of course use cornstarch or arrowroot starch if you want. Here in Spain, those are toughies to find, so I just wing it with flour, and take my chances. They all work really.
- 1 large head of broccoli, chopped
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1 package of semi firm tofu ( about 16 oz.)
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons flour or cornstarch
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 green onions, chopped
- Sesame seeds for garnish
- In a large pan, add oil, tofu and broccoli, and saute on low to medium heat
- In a small bowl, mix the flour with a few tablespoons of the orange juice and set aside
- In another bowl, put the remaining orange juice, brown sugar, soy sauce and orange zest and whisk together until it is mixed well
- When the tofu and broccoli are cooked, make room in the middle of the pan and cook the ginger and garlic, stirring constantly, until fragrant.
- Add the orange juice mixture to the pan and bring to a simmer.
- Gently add the flour mixture to thicken it all up.
- Serve with rice and garnish with sesame seeds and chopped green onion