Appetizer ruts. We have all have had them. People are coming over for dinner, and if they are anything remotely like me, they are coming over starving. If the main meal is running a little late, just hand these little guys out, and they will definitely keep the guests quiet for a while. Actually it will have them talking about what a fancy culinary genius you are. How could you ever be slaving over rosemary infused wild rice, and carve out little holes in the bottom of a mushroom? You Giada de Laurentiis you.
You can separate the spring when you are cooking the rice, so that they are incorporated and infused with flavor. Cut the stems of the mushrooms, and take a small sharp knife to carve out the inside. Scoop away any brown parts, and make the hole large enough so enough rice will fit…kind of like a little bowl.
Toss the mushrooms with the olive oil and herbs. Fill the little mushroom bowl with the yummy rice mixture and bake.
- 8-10 Mushrooms, medium-sized
- ¾ cups Wild Rice ( not cooked)
- 1½ cups Water
- ¼ cup diced onion
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1½ tbsp fresh rosemary
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tsp oregano
- bread crumbs ( optional)
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cook your rice according to the package instructions along with a few sprigs of the rosemary. Set aside
- Remove the stem of your mushrooms and gently scraping away the dark inside layers.
- Rinse, clean and dry them well, and set aside
- In a large bowl, combine your dried off mushrooms plus the olive oil and ½ a tsp of herbs
- Gently toss and evenly coat all your mushrooms. Cover, for one hour.
- Transfer your rice to a bowl and add in everything else. Nutritional yeast, herbs, onion, garlic and season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and evenly space your mushrooms on it.
- Stuff each mushroom, lightly pressing down to make more room. Depending on how large your mushrooms are, you may have left over rice.
- Place your mushrooms into the oven and bake for 18-20 minutes. Feel free to top with bread crumbs and bake on broil for 1-2 minutes to crisp the tops, and let the breadcrumbs brown.