When I was finished making my Tiramisu, and had some left over mascarpone cheese, and that stuff is expensive, I could not possibly bring myself to throw it out. I remember seeing a recipe for ricotta pancakes, and figured that I could do the same thing, but simply changing the ricotta to mascarpone.
Ok, I know what you are thinking. “Strawberry Mascarpone Pancakes with Strawberry Syrup does not sound like it has vegetables, and can’t be very healthy”. Well, guess what?! It’s ok. It has fresh strawberries, and that qualifies! There are always ways to make normally unhealthy dishes, into semi healthy…every little bit counts! Changing out granulated sugar for brown or raw sugar, white flour to wheat flour, whole milk for almond milk etc… Pretty simple right? On the other hand, it is also ok, just to splurge on a Saturday morning, and not give a damn. Wake up, cook with the kids, and eat without a care in the world. Treat yourself to these delicious little gems (which are actually pretty healthy). Then there is the strawberry topping. Is it syrup? Is it jam? Don’t really know. Don’t really care. It is made with fresh berries, and it is good on top of my cakes, so whatever it is, is alright with me. Although next time, I am going to use my hand mixer, and emulsify it for a smoother texture.
Done. Happy kids. Happy me. Happy Saturday.
- 2 cups of strawberries diced
- 1/2 cup mascarpone cheese
- 1 cup of wheat flour
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 cup milk ( may be substituted for almond or oat milk)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 free range egg
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups diced strawberries
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- Heat your pan or griddle to low-medium heat
- in a medium bowl, combine all of your dry ingredients
- whisk together the egg, milk, vanilla, and mascarpone in a separate bowl
- mix the dry ingredients in with the wet ingredients
- mix in the strawberries, and fold gently
- pour batter onto griddle to the desired size you want
- cook 5 minutes on each side
- Make sure the pancakes are cook evenly through. The strawberries can prevent certain parts from cooking evenly.
- If the breadcrumbs are not wanting to stick, feel free to beat an egg, and stick it in the egg fr