Who knew a Vegan ‘Just like Boxed’ Mac and Cheese would ever exist in our lifetimes? Let’s face it. Mac and Cheese from a box is so bad that it is actually so good. I don’t care what brand it is…Kraft, Trader Joes, Amy’s, etc…anything that has a powdered pouch that you mix with pasta is just yummy. (well to me anyway). This recipe is so easy, and can be whipped up in minutes. That grainy chemical packed powder just says…eat me!! Well, it has been years actually since I have eaten any. Lucky for me, in Spain those things just do not exist…probably for good reason too.
Being the loyal American girl that I am, I was thinking about my beloved boxed mac and cheese the other day, really missing it. It was a craving that soon, became an obsession that I had to make. Normally homemade mac and cheese is pretty much all sorts of unhealthy melted cheeses thrown together with white pasta, butter and cream. So I needed a way to ‘healthy-tize’ it…Yep. Just made that word up. Believe it or not, this recipe for Vegan ‘Just like Boxed’ Mac and Cheese is pretty damn near close to the real unhealthy deal, but healthy! Don’t be intimidated by coconut milk. It does not taste like coconuts. That sure would make for a gross macaroni, dontcha think? The nutritional yeast gives it a smoky Parmesan cheese flavor, and the paprika, helps with the color. No chemicals in this mac and cheese folks, and no packets either….ok, kind of a bummer, but not in the long run! ( just put it all in a baggie, then shake it up, and pour it in, if you must!)
- 1 cup elbow macaroni noodles
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup coconut milk ( full fat)
- 1/4 cup red onion ( diced )
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp Marmite
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Pinch of salt and pepper to taste
- Cook macaroni according to the package directions, drain, and set aside
- In a medium saucepan, add 1 tbsp olive oil, garlic and red onion. Saute for about 3 minutes, or until they are translucent
- Add the rest of the ingredients into the sauce pan, along with the noodles.
- Stir well, and serve immediately
- Garnish with chives