Vegan Corn and Potato Chowder you ask? Umm…we are almost in summer!? Here is Spain, the people say not to bring out your summer stuff until June 40th. That was proven to be true this last weekend, when the mother of cool storms hit. Last week it was summer, with short sleeves and capri pants. Then the weekend came, and it was HELLO yoga pants again! As I am writing this, we have changed yet again. Yes, it is warming up . GEEZ. I give up Mother Nature, you confuse me too much. Well, whatever…I guess it is okay because I can pretty much eat this soup whenever I want. I love it.
It is pretty hard to find a good creamy chowder, without it being loaded with milk, butter and cream. Any chowder can be good and hearty if you add cream and butter. But this stuff. This right here. This a great way to have your cake and eat it too, and not have to do the plank challenge everyday for a month to burn it off. This chowder has coconut milk, which has a super subtle flavor, and not like coconut at all. But it still has that rich creamy texture and flavor that all of the other stuff does.
When you blend all of the ingredients, you may need to pulse 3 or 4 times, to make sure the consistency is smooth enough. After you place the creamy mixture into the stockpot, make sure you let it simmer with all of the veggies for at least 15 minutes. The longer the better…just as long as it doesn’t burn!
- 4 ears corn
- 2 large red potatoes peeled and chopped
- 1 large onion
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 5 cloves minced
- 3 large carrots peeled and diced
- 3 large stalks celery diced
- 1 large red bell pepper diced
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 can of full fat coconut milk
- 2 cups water
- salt to taste
- Cook corn on high heat. Bring to a boil and cover for 10-15 minutes
- Remove the corn, and reserve the liquid for the potatoes. Quarter the red potato, and cook the potato for about 15 minutes, or until it is soft.
- While the potato is cooking, place the stockpot on medium heat. Add the coconut oil along with the other diced onion, garlic, carrots, celery, bell pepper cumin, paprika and salt.
- Saute for about 10-15 minutes or until the veggies are tender
- Use a knife to remove the corn kernels from all of the ears of corn.
- Put half of the kernels in a blender, along with the cooked potato. Add the coconut milk and water to the blender, and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Add the remaining corn kernels to the stockpot with the sauteed vegetables, and pour the creamy potato mixture into the pot.
- Simmer for 15-20 minutes so the flavors blend.
- Remove from heat, and add fresh green onion. Serve immediately.
recipe adapted from The Roasted Root