When my son was a little guy, we used to meet up with friends, at a pretty outdoor mall. On the way there, we would make a quick detour to Sprinkles cupcakes. Oh, they were lovely, ginormous, and I am sure bursting with butters, oils, eggs, and all of the good stuff that makes you “not so ready” for bikini season. I could only eat one, because they were so damn huge. Ok, so I could totally finish one, and easily go for 2 more, but that is not really normal, and frowned upon in public. I have a thing for cupcakes, and wished that there was something as tasty as Vegan Dark Chocolate Cupcakes with Buttercream Frosting when I went to a cupcake place, because I would have been all up on it!
Well, now that I am a bit more health conscious, I try to make things as healthy as possible. Certain things are inevitable, and just need to have a little bit of naughty in them…what can a little white flour and sugar hurt? I at least like to try to balance it out with something a bit more healthy, then I don’t feel too hard on myself. It cancels out the bad ingredient, right?
- CHOCOLATE CAKE MIX:
- 3/4 cup soy milk
- 3/4 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup white flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup melted cocoa oil
- 1/4 cup warm water
- CHOCOLATE BUTTERCREAM:
- 1 cup vegan butter or Margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (F)
- Line the muffin tin with liners, and set aside
- In a medium bowl add the soy milk and apple cider vinegar. Mix together and set aside for 5 minutes to allow the milk to curdle. Soy milk works best vs. other plant based milks to curdle.
- In a large bowl combine cocoa powder, flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- In the soy milk mixture, add coconut oil, water, and granulated sugar and whisk.
- Pour wet ingredients into the dry and gently fold to combine.
- Fill the cupcake holders 1/2-3/4 of the way full and bake for about 20 minutes. Make sure to double check with a toothpick.
- Remove from oven and let cool, before adding the frosting.
- FORTHE BUTTERCREAM:
- Place the chocolate chips in a medium bowl, over a saucepan with water on medium heat. You may also place in a microwave. Stir until chips are melted.
- With a stand mixer, cream the butter on high for 3 minutes.
- Add powdered sugar and vanilla extra and beat for another 5 minutes,
- ON a low speed, gently add the chocolate and increase the speed to high and mix for another 2-3 minutes.
- The time increments are important for the frosting to reach the desired consistency.
- Place the frosting a zip lock baggie, and cut the tip off of the corner to pipe the frosting onto the cupcake.
*adapted from My Darling Vegan*