I have to be honest here. I have never been a huge fan of brown rice. There is just something about it. I am sort of an all or nothing kinda gal. White rice or nothing. Brown rice is just so…brown. Actually beige. Of course I like a little more now, and will perhaps learn to cook with it. For so many years, I have ignored wild rice. I never really paid attention to the variation of ingredients that can be used to make an amazing wild rice side dish! This recipe for Wild Rice with Broccoli and Mushrooms is great because it has my 2 favorite things. Mushrooms and broccoli. I am pretty sure they are yours too. Everyone likes them. Add walnuts on the top for an extra little crunchiness. If you don’t fancy them, feel free to try out other combinations that you love. ( whoa, I totally do not say ” fancy”, it just came out that way. The rice must make me feel that way.
Wild Rice is a great grain, because for one thing, it looks like confetti, so my mind automatically goes into party mode…whoo hoo! The second thing is that it is very good for you. Punching your body with B vitamins, heart healthy stuff, and best of all, it is not refined, making is easier for your body to digest. Did I mention, it is pretty to look at? Party time!
- 1 cup wild rice
- 1 cup button mushrooms ( sliced )
- 1 1/2 cup broccoli ( cut into small florets )
- 2 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 2 tbsp margarine or vegan butter
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Salt to taste
- Heat up olive oil in a large skillet. Add rice and 2 cups of broth. Cook according to the rice directions.
- In another skillet on the side, saute mushrooms and broccoli. Add all of the herbs.
- Add the rice to the broccoli mixture, and stir well.
- Heat in the pan, and add the walnuts and chopped onions.
- Transfer to a serving dis and enjoy!